Hemorrhoids can be a bothersome condition that most people don’t want to face. The stigma of embarrassment that comes with them can put extra stress on the issue, especially when patients don’t know where to turn for treatment. Many patients don’t want to seek medical help, so they turn to self-diagnosis and self-treatment options. The good news is that there are many ways to treat hemorrhoids that don’t require medical consultation.
Of course, you should always seek the help of a medical professional to properly diagnose and treat the condition. But there are at-home and over-the-counter remedies that will do the trick until you get in to see your doctor. In fact, there are so many treatment options today that it can be overwhelming to decide which to try. With multiple brands and different products on the market, it’s a great resource when other people review products and provide feedback or insight. Let’s explore two popular brands and review the pros and cons of their products for effective hemorrhoid treatment.
Preparation H vs. Tucks
Preparation H and Tucks are two brands of hemorrhoid treatment that have been around for a while. There are pros and cons to each brand, but the longevity of these companies show us that they are doing something right. In most cases of hemorrhoids, successful treatment depends on the size and type of hemorrhoid you have. Also, many patients respond differently to different treatments. So, what works for you might not work for another patient.
Although there are many factors that come into play when it comes to hemorrhoids treatment, Preparation H and Tucks are two reputable companies who have been helping patients control the symptoms of their hemorrhoids for years. Both brands have multiple products available that cover a variety of symptoms. And when it comes to comparing, which brand is better truly depends on the product you are using.
Preparation H Products
Preparation H may be the more popular brand because they spend a good amount of money on marketing their products. When it comes to creams, ointments, and suppositories, Preparation H takes the top spot in the industry. That’s because the brand has spent years perfecting their line and making new formulas to target specific symptoms.
Let’s take a look at some of the Preparation H creams, ointments, and suppositories available, and the symptoms they treat. Some of the top Preparation H products include:
- Preparation H Ointment- This was the first product released on the market by the brand. It works by temporarily shrinking swollen blood vessels to relieve the symptoms of irritation, discomfort, and pain. The moisture in the ointment provides a protective barrier on the skin. Most Preparation H products take a 4 ingredient approach to cover multiple symptoms. This product contains Phenylephrine HCl which helps constrict blood vessels, shortening healing time.
- Preparation H Cooling Gel- For patients dealing with pain and burning sensations from hemorrhoids, the sound of this product’s name is a relief in itself. Preparation H Cooling Gel contains witch hazel to soothe pain and itch. Like the ointment, it contains Phenylephrine HCl to shrink swollen blood vessels and alleviate pain and irritation.
- Preparation H Maximum Strength Pain Relief Cream- This product is a stronger formula that contains some of the same active ingredients of the ointment, but also has Pramoxine HCl. Pramoxine HCl is a topical anesthetic that is fast acting to relieve pain, ease burning, and treat swelling and bleeding.
- Preparation H Rapid Relief with Lidocaine Hemorrhoid Cream- This is another fast-acting, amped up formula that contains lidocaine to numb the sensations of pain, itch, and burning. It also contains glycerin to soothe and protect the skin for shorter healing times.
- Preparation H Suppositories- As one of the leading suppository products for hemorrhoids, Preparation H suppositories work well to combat internal hemorrhoids. They contain soothing cocoa butter to moisturize and heal and Pheylephrine HCl to constrict swollen blood vessels.
- Preparation H Anti-Itch Cream- This hemorrhoid cream contains hydrocortisone to target the symptoms of bothersome itch.
The Preparation H line also carries two different medicated wipes. While the products are effective, this is where Tucks comes in. As mentioned earlier, both brands are regarded as the top on the market, but with different products. Preparation H takes the trophy on creams, ointments, and suppositories. But Tucks comes in for the win on medicated wipes.
Tucks is a well-respected brand in the line of medicated pads to treat hemorrhoids. When it comes to hemorrhoid wipes, they take the market as the leader in the product. The brand is even used by hospitals to help comfort patients after child birth, rectal surgery, or vaginal surgery.
Tucks medicated pads contain witch hazel and provide immediate relief from the burning and itching of hemorrhoids. The witch hazel works by cooling, soothing, and protecting the irritated area. Because Tucks are pH balanced, hypo-allergenic, and dye-free, they are even safe for daily hygienic care. And some patients fold the pads and use them as a moist compress for inflamed tissue.
While most patients use Tucks to treat the bothersome symptoms of hemorrhoids, others have found them to be a helpful part of their daily hygiene routine. When used in this way, they can even help prevent future occurrence of hemorrhoids. Since some hemorrhoids have been reported to be caused by improper hygiene after bowel movements, Tucks can help properly clean the anus to reduce the presence of irritation.
So, both brands have their own strong suits, and there’s even more good news that goes with that. Since the Tucks medicated pads are safe for daily use, many patients use them in conjunction with Preparation H creams, ointments, or suppositories. The two brands can be very effective when used together. Preparation H products help to alleviate symptoms of pain, swelling, and discomfort, and the medicated wipes ensure proper hygiene and provide immediate relief following bowel movements. When it comes to Preparation H vs. Tucks, you don’t have to choose!